Register      

VW CEO Says Smart Cars, not Electric Vehicles, Were "The Real GameChangers"  
Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-t...021-09-05/

"MUNICH, Sept 5 (Reuters) - Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) head Herbert Diess on Sunday said autonomous cars, not electric vehicles, were the "real gamechanger" for the auto industry, which is facing the end of combustion engines in Europe by 2035.

"Autonomous driving is really going to change our industry like nothing else before," Diess said in Munich ahead of the official opening of the IAA car show, adding the shift towards electrified cars was "kind of easy" in comparison.

"The real gamechanger is software and autonomous driving."

Diess, who aims to turn Europe's largest carmaker into the world's largest seller of electric vehicles by 2025, is therefore targeting software services for autonomous cars as a pillar of its future business."

I can understand this viewpoint, as electric vehicles are doing good in the world, but I can foresee a time where hydrogen fuel-cells replace electric batteries, so while EV is the way forward for now, I can't help but feel that Hydrogen is the longer term solution.  Either way, the internal combustion engine is finished and will be out of the picture within the next 10 years.
Personally, I'd have to agree that Hydrogen is the way forward as it's far easier to produce hydrogen. In addition to that, it's far more environmentally friendly than the Lithium batteries in EVs. Toyota is already working on a Hydrogen fuel cell for one of its upcoming vehicles, so I'm excited to see where this goes.